Tuesday 20 October 2015

A look into Humility

Currently, I'm reading this book called "You and Me Forever" by Francis Chan. Although this book is written for couples who want to build healthy relationships with one another, I feel like this book has taught me about how to apply what I've learned to not just my future relationship with my spouse, but my current relationships - with family, friends, or even people that I don't know.

In the past week, I learned about the true meaning of humility. Jesus has so many positive attributes - but humility is definitely a big one which I think would help any type of relationship we have with others. In the book, it tells us that "it is easy to get blinded in the heat of disagreements. Soon, all we want is to win, even if victory requires sin". When I think about that quote, I try to think about those times when maybe in the heat of frustration, I would say something from spite, or just to feel like I have the last word to a discussion. Thinking back, this was a sense of pride that I wasn't willing to give up, and a sign that I lacked humility. 

Every relationship goes through moments of anger and temporary failures. As the book discussed, you must determine your goal. What matters more? Winning arguments or resembling Christ? I think we can all agree that we love to win - whether it's in sports, a board game, or a fight. It's in our human nature. But does that help our relationship with the other person? Is that a testimony of Christ's love and joy? Some food for thought!

[Part 2] soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment